Thursday, January 3, 2013

Starting the year off right

I have decided that this is my year for quilts! 
I have planned the whole year with deadlines for myself, as well as room for a few fun things in between. I find that I work better under a time constraint knowing that it needs to be done by a certain day just makes me focus on it that much more. 
Maybe for me this will mean less UFO's and more completed projects. 

Remember this quilt from last January?


 I did get it finished before the end of the year, just in time to gift it to my sister when she came up. (she will kill me if she knew I put this here, but it's the only photo's I got) Boo!


She loved it! However I learned a big lesson using cross-weaves in a quilt. One of the pieces unraveled in the wash and had to be re-sewn by hand after the quilt was gifted. If I do use them again (not likely)  I will add an extra seam allowance to them to hopefully ensure it doesn't unravel. 

Quilt Measures approx 65x50
Main background  - Kona in Ash gray
Fabric line for prints - Washi by Rashida Coleman Hale

Accent colors
Moda Crossweaves in Aqua
Free spirit solid in Azalea
Moda Bella solid in Ochre

I used up scraps to complete the binding, and Kona on the back in Charcoal gray and Pomegranate color block.



When my sister came over, we also had a shortage of blankets in the house. Her remark was, "don't you make quilts?" Ummmmm... Ha! All I could do was laugh. Yes! I make quilts and this year I plan to make many more.


What about you? What's your goals for the new year.



P.S. I have new hair for the new year! :)
I will blog about how I did it soon.


Stay Creative!





14 comments:

  1. Ah, if only to be related to you! LOL What a beautiful and snuggly quilt for a sister!

    Love the pink!

    Here's to keeping resolutions!
    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair, the quilt, and your goal for 2013, I'm with you, less computer time, more quilts (for me!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your finish. I have this block on my list for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt and the hair! You are smart for setting goals, that helps me too. I hope to be better about actually sticking to mine this year! Wishing you lots of creative juice and finished quilts this year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you've done to your hair.

    I, too, work better with time constraints and am doing HTE same thing for myself -- assigning dates for getting things done! I find the longer I leave things, the less likely they are to be finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, what's that about cobbler's children? Love the quilt and the hair, happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finish. You have a lucky sister! All the best to you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fabulous and I am sure she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt and the hair looks great! I keep lists and goals; this year I plan to stick to them and not get sidetracked so often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your quilt for your sis! Such a striking palette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those who love to create will find sewing a worthwhile hobby to pursue. You can work with items as simple as cross stitch designs, or even make your own clothing. The type of sewing supplies that you will need depend on the area of sewing that you intend to pursue.
    Thanks……

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love and LOVE your sisters quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt. I'm sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate that you took a minute to read my post.
Please share what you thought about it with a comment.